Dear Piedmont Community,
I'm Hari Titan. My wife and I have had children in Piedmont schools since we arrived in 2008. My youngest child is currently a freshman at PHS.
I'm a parent, a scientist, and a former college professor running for School Board.
I work as a mathematician and data scientist for 20 years. I have a Ph.D. In Computer Science and a Masters in Mathematics. My consulting practice has a work-life balance that facilitates my active involvement in Piedmont civics, including serving on the PUSD School Board.
I have been active in a variety of community issues, principally school-related, since 2013. My experience and vocation equip me to make decisions from a very scientific and analytical perspective. I have been a very vocal advocate for full-disclosure transparency in the leadership, management, and operation of our schools.
The education and health of students is my primary focus. I believe the PUSD Board needs to maximize both the safety and achievement of every Piedmont student. Even in especially complicated times like these, it is possible to meet both of those goals. We owe it to the students to work towards that goal.
A Safety Summit between experts, teachers, staff, parents and the school board is key to reopening schools after we regain autonomy. A scientific consensus on a safe and first-rate primary and secondary education is more important than ever.
I have demonstrated leadership on many issues. I was:
- First to promote transparency between the school board and all stakeholders using a digital town hall
- First to promote new construction for the Alan Harvey high school theater (*)
- First to promote improving STEM education (*)
- First to promote prioritizing extended-day kindergarten as part of Measure H1 (*)
- First to promote net-zero carbon emissions for the STEAM building, thereby reducing the school's operating costs
- First to promote banning creative financing schemes that defer property taxes at the expense of exponentially compounding interest charges
- First to promote refinancing the 2013 school bond saving taxpayers $26 million over 30 years (*)
- First to produce a college matriculation analysis for PUSD graduates and request supporting metrics be tracked by the district
- First to analyze PUSD teacher salaries in the context of their cost of living for Measures G & H (**)
(*) These were adopted year(s) after first promotion.
(**) At least 343 people downloaded this report and 25% of report readers surveyed were influenced to vote Yes with another 15% to maybe vote Yes.
See how my skills and experience matches up with the duties and responsibilities of a school board member.
Your support will help me insert timely thoughtful analysis and best practices into the school board.
Hari Titan, Ph.D.